THIS MONTH IN ANAESTHESIOLOGY
Anesthesiology-This Month – November 2017
1. Preoperative Cognitive Dysfunction: It’s More Common Than You Think.
2. Errors and Integrity in Seeking and Reporting Apparent Research Misconduct.
3. Poor Performance on a Preoperative Cognitive Screening Test Predicts Postoperative Complications in Older Orthopedic Surgical Patients.
4. Clinical Effectiveness of Intravenous Exenatide Infusion in Perioperative Glycemic Control after Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery: A Phase II/III Randomized Trial.
5. Are Anesthesia and Surgery during Infancy Associated with Decreased White Matter Integrity and Volume during Childhood?
6. Effect of Bronchoconstriction-induced Ventilation–Perfusion Mismatch on Uptake and Elimination of Isoflurane and Desflurane.
2. British Journal of Anaesthesia
1. Early mobilization programme improves functional capacity after major abdominal cancer surgery: a randomized controlled trial.
2. Low end-tidal CO2 as a real-time severity marker of intra-anaesthetic acute hypersensitivity reactions.
3. Comparison of two stroke volume variation-based goal-directed fluid therapies for supratentorial brain tumour resection: a randomized controlled trial.
4. Gastric emptying for liquids of different compositions in children.
5. Volumes of the spinal canal and caudal space in children zero to three years of age assessed by magnetic resonance imaging: implications for volume dosage of caudal blockade.
Volume 72, Issue 11
1. The association of postoperative pulmonary complications in 109,360 patients with pressure-controlled or volume-controlled ventilation.
2. Ultrasound assessment of gastric contents in children undergoing elective ear, nose and throat surgery: a prospective cohort study.
3. Arterial to end-tidal carbon dioxide difference in children undergoing mechanical ventilation of the lungs during general anaesthesia.
4. Onset of labour epidural analgesia with low-dose bupivacaine and different doses of fentanyl.
5. Apnoeic oxygenation with high-flow nasal oxygen for laryngeal surgery: a case series.
6. Effects of epidural volume extension by saline injection on the efficacy and safety of intrathecal local anaesthetics: systematic review with meta-analysis, meta-regression and trial sequential analysis.
4. Anesthesia & Analgesia
1. Molecular Targets for Pain Management: More Than Just Mu.
2. Unraveling the Mystery of THC: Cannabinoids and Neuropathic Pain.
3. Theoretical Modeling of Coagulation Management With Therapeutic Plasma or Prothrombin Complex Concentrate.
4. Differential Roles of the Right and Left Toe Perfusion Index in Predicting the Incidence of Postspinal Hypotension During Cesarean Delivery.
5. Evidence for the Efficacy of Systemic Opioid-Sparing Analgesics in Pediatric Surgical Populations: A Systematic Review.
6. Risk Management for Opioid Prescribing in the Treatment of Patients With Pain From Cancer or Terminal Illness: Inadvertent Oversight or Taboo?
7. Chronic Pain and Associated Factors in India and Nepal: A Pilot Study of the Vanderbilt Global Pain Survey.
8. Hyperbaric Versus Isobaric Bupivacaine for Spinal Anesthesia: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis for Adult Patients Undergoing Noncesarean Delivery Surgery.
9. Selective Cannabinoids for Chronic Neuropathic Pain: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
10. Role of the Perioperative Surgical Home in Optimizing the Perioperative Use of Opioids.
11. Opioid Reduction Following Interventional Procedures for Chronic Pain: A Synthesis of the Evidence.
12. Alternatives to Opioids in the Pharmacologic Management of Chronic Pain Syndromes: A Narrative Review of Randomized, Controlled, and Blinded Clinical Trials.
13. Risk Factors for Opioid-Use Disorder and Overdose.
14. A Review of Opioid-Sparing Modalities in Perioperative Pain Management: Methods to Decrease Opioid Use Postoperatively.
15. Opioids for the Treatment of Chronic Pain: Mistakes Made, Lessons Learned, and Future Directions.
16. Impact of Enhanced Recovery After Surgery and Opioid-Free Anesthesia on Opioid Prescriptions at Discharge From the Hospital: A Historical-Prospective Study.
17. Case Series of Successful Postoperative Pain Management in Buprenorphine Maintenance Therapy Patients.
5. European Journal of Anaesthesiology (EJA)
1. Re-evaluation of peri-operative cardiac risk (the MET REPAIR study): Study protocol of a prospective, multicentre cohort study sponsored by the European Society of Anaesthesiology.
2. Continuous non-invasive haemodynamic monitoring: a beneficial impact on patient outcome is needed to gain ‘confidence in the technology’
3. The relative effects of dexmedetomidine and propofol on cerebral blood flow velocity and regional brain oxygenation: A randomised noninferiority trial.
4. Cardiac cycle efficiency and dicrotic pressure variations: new parameters for fluid therapy. An observational study.
6. Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica
Volume 61, Issue 10
1. End-tidal control vs. manually controlled minimal-flow anesthesia: a prospective comparative trial.
2. Pregabalin reduces opioid consumption and hyperalgesia but not pain intensity after laparoscopic donor nephrectomy.
3. Return of spontaneous circulation and long-term survival according to feedback provided by automated external defibrillators.
7. Pediatric Anesthesia
Volume 27, Issue 11
1. Effects of esketamine sedation compared to morphine analgesia on hydrostatic reduction of intussusception: A case-cohort comparison study.
2. Median effective dose of intranasal dexmedetomidine sedation for transthoracic echocardiography in pediatric patients with noncyanotic congenital heart disease: An up-and-down sequential
3. Technical success of the ultrasound-guided supra-inguinal fascia iliaca compartment block in older children and adolescents for hip arthroscopy.
4. Can noninvasive hemoglobin measurement reduce the need for preoperative venipuncture in pediatric outpatient surgery?
5. A limited evaluation of the association of race and anesthetic medication administration: A single-center experience with appendectomies.
8. Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine
1. Electron Microscopy of Dural and Arachnoid Disruptions After Subarachnoid Block.
2. Psoas Versus Femoral Blocks: A Registry Analysis of Risks and Benefits.
3. The Spread of Ultrasound-Guided Injectate From the Adductor Canal to the Genicular Branch of the Posterior Obturator Nerve and the Popliteal Plexus: A Cadaveric Study.
4. Determination of ED50 and ED95 of 0.5% Ropivacaine in Adductor Canal Block to Produce Quadriceps Weakness: A Dose-Finding Study.
5. Injection Volume and Anesthetic Effect in Serratus Plane Block.
9. International Journal of Obstetric Anaesthesia
November 2017 Volume 32, p1-96
1. Rocuronium versus suxamethonium for rapid sequence induction of general anaesthesia for caesarean section: influence on neonatal outcomes.
2. Pharmacokinetics of bupivacaine after bilateral ultrasound-guided transversus abdominis plane block following cesarean delivery under spinal anesthesia.
3. Intravenous dexmedetomidine for cesarean delivery and its concentration in colostrum.
4. Neonatal effects after vasopressor during spinal anesthesia for cesarean section: a multicenter, randomized controlled trial.
5. A prospective study of post-cesarean delivery hypoxia after spinal anesthesia with intrathecal morphine 150 μg.
10. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia
Volume 64, Issue 11, November 2017
1. Obstructing pathology of the upper airway in a post-NAP4 world: time to wake up to its optimal management.
2. From visualizing nerves to visualizing blocks: a natural trend?
3. “Eyeball test” of thermographic patterns for predicting a successful lateral infraclavicular block.
4. Flexible bronchoscopic intubation through the AuraGain™ laryngeal mask versus a slit Guedel tube: a non-inferiority randomized-controlled trial.